Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Talk Talk Talk

I used to think adults were joking around when they couldn't remember, on demand, how old they were. That is, until my church's women's retreat this weekend.



 While there, I was asked several times how old I was (I'm often mistaken for a high school student, and then told I'll be grateful for that someday). Each time, not remembering if I was 23 or 24, I had to pause and think, "How old am  I, anyway?"

My Kindergartners know how old they are. We don't let them forget it! We're always asking them how old they are, and making a big deal about turning 6, and just bringing it up into conversation with them. But as we get older, it becomes more socially impolite to have those conversations. Suddenly, we age to the point where we stop getting asked quite so often what our age actually is. And so we forget.

We remember what we talk about.

And so God commands Israel, "And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."

I'd always imagined God intended these conversations for the children, but as I reflected on my own forgetfulness I thought perhaps God gave this command for the parents, too.

God knows our forgetfulness. And, goodness, if I forget something like my own age it's pretty unlikely I'll remember God's commands, or how He has provided for me, protected me, forgiven me, and loves me.

So get talking this week. Find something God has taught you, some way God was present to you, or something God revealed to you in studying His word and talk with someone about it, be they your child, a parent, or a friend. Or better yet talk about it with all three, keep calling it to your memory.

Don't forget.

Talk.

No comments: